Industry Expert Interview (Week 5)

 Industry Expert Interview

The person I decided to interview is Hector Lara, who is a coworker in the engineering department at DMM Packaging. Our work consists of building various types of packaging machinery. Some examples include robotic palletizers, case packers and complete lines including conveyors. I chose to interview Hector because he was the first engineer I met at DMM who taught me how to use basic software like QuickBooks and Excel. He also took interest in my studies since I had mentioned to him that I was beginning to take computer science courses. 

By talking to Hector, I gained insight into the process of designing parts and software so mechanical parts function correctly. As the company continues to evolve, their designs change and efficiency grows. It is up to the engineers to implement new ideas that are introduced by the executives in the business. Hector mentioned that having experience from simple tasks to more advanced ones was crucial to him landing his current position. He had several internships including at an irrigation company and a trailer manufacturing company. At DMM, he started by programming and running CNC machines, then building up the inventory management tools we use today. That is what got him to his current position where he designs machine components, conducts robotic simulations and supports the testing department. 

One thing Hector mentioned several times was the important of doing internships and making a name for yourself. As I work through the cs program, I learn that I must work my way up to get to where I want to be. The industry of technology favors those who can show that they have experience and have been given more responsibilities throughout their careers. I will have to start with jobs that I may not be so fond of to get where I want to be. 

Knowing how long it took for Hector to get where he is now, I adjust my expectations for what jobs I may have out of college while still aiming high. As I learn more about my choice of career in digital forensics, I figure out what skills are highly desired and build up my portfolio to reflect that.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 - CST 370

Week 1 - CST 438

Week 4