Week 4 - CST 363

Here are a few things I have learned so far in this class.
  1. I have learned how relational databased store data in tables with relationships using primary and foreign keys.
  2. I also know how to use SQL commands such as select, insert, update, where, and group by.
  3. I understand how to read ER diagrams and how to create them for a new database.
  4. I know that there are more efficient ways of looking up data in a database. For example, a full table scan is simple but takes more time and power to find data whereas an index search is faster because it looks up specific keys to jump to a row. 
  5. There are several types of table storage structures that are used in databases such as heap tables, sorted tables, hash tables, and table clusters. 
A few questions I still have are:
  1. How are databases structured that take input from external users around the world. It seems like it would use a lot of processing power to for an e-commerce site that is constantly taking in orders.
  2. How do we debug when we encounter issues with our databases? For example, slow running queries, or a query not returning any rows when no issues are encountered.
  3. Can a database become entangled with too much information? When does a system have to provide more power to handle all the information the database is trying to process?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 - CST 370

Week 1 - CST 438

Week 4