Final Week - CST 334
During this class, I gained a deeper understanding of how operating systems work, including managing resources and preventing issues when processes are running. One big takeaway was learning about memory management with concepts like paging, segmentation and TLB. Scheduling policies like Round Robin and Shortest Job next helped me understand how overall system performance can be affected by how we choose to allow processes to be completed.
Concurrency and synchronization were also interesting topics to learn about because real issues can arise when processes are allowed to run when they shouldn't. For example, multiple processes may be able to access the same data at the same time which can cause data loss, system corruption and greater overhead.
One of the biggest challenges I encountered was learning the scheduling algorithms as they can become convoluted with which process is allowed to run next. Many times, the explanation of an algorithm would seem straight forward, but then I would encounter issues when completing actual problems. Other times, addresses would become too long and it would require additional translations. The math for binary, hex and decimal conversions could be difficult to remember.
Comments
Post a Comment