Final Week - CST 462S
As the term comes to an end, I think back to the hours I spent doing my volunteer service hours. On one hand, I think I got lucky being chosen for a site that was very open to allowing students to figure things out on their own. With The Document Foundation, I did not feel like I was being micromanaged in what work I needed to complete. On the other hand, there was also not much direction provided in what it was exactly that we need to accomplish for the site itself. At times, I felt like I wasn't doing much to actually improve the site but merely confirming that bugs existed, which would have maybe taken a developer an extra 5-10 minutes to figure out.
For future students who volunteer at The Document Foundation, I would try to get in contact with people who have more experience reproducing or addressing bugs for the site. It would help to have some guidance from someone that isn't in charge of you to help you learn the dos and don'ts about bug triaging. It would also behoove them to develop a structured timeline for completing their hours. I tended to procrastinate on doing my hours so it felt like I had to allot a big chunk of time just to catch up.
Comments
Post a Comment